Thursday, May 6, 2010

album of the day

Photobucket

Tusk- Fleetwood Mac (1979)

All throughout high-school, I had a thing for the lengthy, unfocused, and vaguely conceptual in music and literature; my favorite band was The Mars Volta, my favorite album was The White Album, and i seriously tried to read Finnegan's Wake (a couple times). Since then, I've come to appreciate the merits of a good pop song or a profound 120-page novel (helloooo Rubber Soul! pryvet Turgenev!),  but I've still got a soft spot for sprawling double-album masterpieces. Hence my excitement when I came across a copy of Tusk at Fingerprints a couple weeks ago. This thing is all over the place, one of those perfect examples of what happens when 3 incredible songwriters get together without the intent of actually collaborating. This is a portrait not so much of the band, but rather of each individual within it, and it's a beautiful mess. Highlights for me at the moment are "Save Me A Place," "Tusk," and "Not That Funny."
 

No comments:

Post a Comment